Monday, April 26, 2010

First Days at Site

I have recently pondered days in my life that I can confidently mark as milestones, without which my life would be wholeheartedly different. They can easily be counted on one hand: high school and college graduation, the first time my mom allowed me to ride my bike alone to town, my first road trip. (Omissions: loss of virginity and first taste of alcohol.) However, my life as a Peace Corps trainee and my life as a volunteer will be so different that I must add this transition to the slowly growing list.

My trip to site lasted only 3 hours. My travel companions and I caught the bus up north and hopped off at our respective stops. Instead of riding the final bus to my site, I splurged for the five-dollar pick up truck. Surrounded by my possessions in the cool breeze, I rode in the back to my new home as the sun set over the mountains.


The following is a blend of my first two days at site:

8:00 Wake up. Eat breakfast of bread, rice, and juice.
9:00 Leave house for a walk.
9:15 Follow the sound of sheep to find a herd of over 500 in the local hacienda.
9:30 Walk past two dead dogs on the side of the road.
10:30 Borrow a hoe and begin work in my garden.
12:30 Lunch.
1:00 Siesta time.
2:00 On way back to garden, pass host brothers and sisters holding a pitchfork and laughing over a box. Receive explanation. Aid in slaughtering eagle inside box (yes, eagle).
2:10 Resume work in garden.
3:00 Receive help from 5-7 year old kids in turning land and pulling weeds.
3:30 Buy ice cream for 35 cents from passing pick up truck.
6:30 Dinner. (Eagle is tasty when fried. Not as tough as rabbit, but red like beef.)
7:00 Pass out and sleep like a rock.

This is my house. This is Francisco, Saywa, and Alberto. They call me Jacobito. This is the eagle we ate for dinner.

Never before have I been given such liberty and encouragement to explore. My job for the next few months consists of integrating into the community by finding my way around, building relationships, and basically just hanging out. When else will I have the time to wander down that river as far as I please? Or lie in the shade under the swaying eucalyptus trees? Or spend six hours in my vegetable garden pulling out weeds?

Now that I am at site with all this time, I would be curious to see who is reading. If you have the time and so desire, leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you.

5 comments:

  1. Well, damn, I wish I COULD leave comments, don't know what went wrong, used to be so easy!

    Guess you really know you ain't in the U.S. no mo when you're slaughtering eagles!

    Eager to see where your meanderings lead you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like today's a better day -- it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog! Eating and eagle though.... what kind of environmentalist are you? JK, it looks like you are having an incredible time Magma Man. Miss ya - Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. ayo mang... keep the journal entries coming! Teaching is fun, but im off to montana next year for sure. I've got a pretty serious case of those deep elem blues...

    ReplyDelete