Friday, July 9, 2010

Garden Update


I spend a few minutes each day tending to my garden. Considering I had little to no experience before arriving here, things are going well. Radish, beets, carrots, lettuce, onions, zuchinni, cabbage, swiss chard, broccoli, cauliflour, basil, cilantro, sweet peppers, peas, and three types of tomatoes are squeezed into about 3x10 meters.

In training I learned about organic fertilizers, compost teas, BIOL, pesticides, etc, and have implemented many here. So far the only problem has been white flies on the zuchinni. Here I show an LL Bean boot next to a cauliflower plant. (Note for scale: This boot has 6 grommets.)

Inside the greenhouse I have put anything that climbs, so the peas and tomatoes. They are beginning to show flowers, but alas, the humidity fogs the camera lens.

My first harvest included 14 radishes and few leaves of basil. Most other plants should be month yet. Soon I will have fresh tomatoes and basil for pasta sauce, zuchinni for zuchinni bread, and cucumbers for pickling. Closeup of colorful beet leaves.

I am in a unique agricultural situation living on the Equator. Full sun, no frost, and moderate rain all year round. Once this garden begins really producing, I won´t have to go to market for vegetables.

1 comment:

  1. So envious of your ease of growing there. It's so hard here. I planted my first thing here the other day -- a tiny thing of rosemary, figuring before long it should do alright on its own, even in this harsh climate....

    ReplyDelete