Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rollercoaster of emotions

The vocabulary for our feelings during the different stages of Peace Corps service is spelled out for us early in training. The concept of an ¨emotional rollercoaster¨ has been thrown around a lot lately among the volunteers I spend time with.

Frightened: Running among a frantic crowd from tear gas bombs released by the policia in order to control the Inti Raymi festivities.

Accepted: Dancing in circles with bandanas hanging from my pants pockets, playing guitar while others dance around me, serving food, and passing around used soda bottles full of moonshine until the early hours of the morn.

Bummed: Left my only and favorite baseball cap in the back of a pickup truck. Found the driver the next day who said someone must have taken it. Outlaw Productions hats are hard to come by in this country.

Lonely: Not finding the energy to dance day and night for an entire week, unable to understand those who continue, I miss my family, friends, and own culture.

Embarrassed: Passed on the one street in my town by those heading to the day´s Inti Raymi dances, I lied by saying I could not drink due to parasites in my stomach. (I do, however, most likely have something living in there.)

Integrated: An Ecuadorian restaurant owner asked me from which part of Ecuador I was from. No joke, even with my blonde hair and beard.

Gluttonous: Eating more than a few servings of ice cream and french fries, drinking more than a few Cokes and beers.

Knowledgeable: Helping train the new group of volunteers on organic agricultural practices. I surprised myself about how much I know.

Successful: Having found multiple surrounding communities, I taught them how to make a compost pile, and was emphatically asked to return and teach more about manure teas, BIOL, and organic pesticides.

1 comment:

  1. In their own way, I think they could all fall under "Successful".

    Hopefully someone's reading this who can supply you with a new Outlaw cap!

    XX

    ReplyDelete